List of ingredients:Coke, original formula [carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, caramel color, phosphoric acid, natural flavors, caffeine] Caffeine content: 34 mg
Diet coke [carbonated water, caramel color, aspartame, phosphoric acid, potassium benzoate (to protect taste), natural flavors, citric acid, caffeine] Phenyketonuirics: Contains phenylalanine. Caffeine content: 46 mg
Being that Diet Coke is my drink of choice, this comparison surprised me. Diet Coke has more caffeine than regular (although still about one-half less than a strong cup of coffee) and Diet Coke actually has more ingredients than regular. Not good.
So why do I drink it? Hard to say. I made the switch from leaded to diet many years ago, but I still cling to the zero calorie kind.
1. Habit, of course. I like that hard punch of acid in my mouth–bad for teeth but like the bubbles.
2. It gives me a pick-me-up at midday.
3. It is something ‘cool’ to order when the waitress comes around. Expensive, though. Have you ever noticed the drink tab when the check comes around?
4. I don’t like the sluggish feeling when I do go cold turkey. All that lethargy is not fun.
5. Availability. It’s always around. When it’s not, I go buy some more.
But do I need it? Would my life be irreparably harmed without it?
Maybe it’s time to quit. Stay tuned.